[Zope-dev] Security-Problem

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:00:56 +0200

Andre Schubert wrote:
> It would be very nice to have such a tool :)
>
> BTW: Thanks for the quick answers, you help me to understand the problem.
>      I take the ownership of all objects where foo was the owner
>      and the problems should go away :)

Andre,

Don't treat this so lightly! When you take ownership of objects where
foo is the owner, you are telling Zope that you take responsibility for
those objects.

For example, let's say foo had written a python script for removing all
of her files older than one day.

Here's some pseudocode:

   For all files older than one day:
     try:
       remove the file
     except PermissionError:
       pass

This will work, provided foo has rights to delete only foo's files.
If you take ownership of such a script, and you run it, then it will
very different effects.

Also, if you are a Manager (or in another privaleged role), and you take
ownership of such a script, you may be allowing others to delete their
own files when they run that script, whereas before nothing much would
have happened.

In 99% of cases, none of this will be a problem. However, you should
take care when taking ownership of objects, especially objects that
represent code such as python scripts and dtml methods and page templates.

--
Steve Alexander