[Zope-dev] Zope and Python compatibility

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:56:54 -0800

> To: "Lennart Regebro" <lennart@regebro.nu>
> cc: zope-dev@zope.org
> Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] Zope and Python compatibility
> From: Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:56:23 -0500
>
> > What would the arguments be for sticking with Zope 2.1.3 for Zope 2.7? I
> > feel most people want to use the latest and greatest versions,
> usually...
>
> Actually, most people don't care about the latest and greatest, and
> would prefer tried and trusted.  Especially if the latest and greatest
> means they have to install more stuff.

I disagree. If I wanted to stagnate, I just wouldn't upgrade. Speaking as a
joe average user, I'd much rather see forward progress on development. That
way, when I do hit a bug with my current (old) version I have somewhere to
go. Besides, most systems ship with 2.2.2 right now. Demanding 2.1.3 means
installing more stuff for new users, not vice-versa.

Right now I'm in a bit of a pickle since our inhouse development is all on
2.2.2. But I'm the sole Zope developer so I have to stick with 2.1.3 (and
its weaker error checking). Obviously, they can coexist and that's not a
huge problem but it is annoying.

I understand that 2.6 runs with 2.2.2... well, that's fine but in the spirit
of your comment above: that's a little too far into the realm of the unknown
and untested. Without papal blessing, I'm not willing to hack up my 2.6 to
run under 2.2.2 and put it into production.

There is also the matter of pride. I'd rather have Zope running on the
latest and greatest, especially since 2.2 has been out for months now and
2.3 is already alpha. Running under an old version implies that there is
something wrong with Python 2.2 or Zope 2.6 that just can't be fixed.