[Zope-dev] Re: AdaptableStorage

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:56:38 -0500

seb bacon wrote:
> Shane, AdaptableStorage is insane and beautiful - congratulations :-)

Thanks!  I've been working on this for a long time.  Two years ago a
Digital Creations customer demanded proper object-relational mapping.
The customer abandoned us for different reasons, but I feel like the
root cause was our inability to fulfill that basic requirement.  Ever
since then I've focused on this.  It took 99% perspiration and 1%
inspiration, yet inspiration accounted for 99% of the implementation. :-)

> It could fit a possible project we have coming up where a requirement is
> to store content in an XML format inside MS SQL Server.

It should fit that use quite well, I think.

> Do you have a TODO list?  Are there any "particularly alpha" parts?  I
> would need to get an idea of the risk I was taking on, but if the list
> is sufficiently small, I love to help mature and extend the product.

I didn't release the alpha until all the gnarly details were dealt with,
like moving objects on the filesystem and implementing complex mappers.
  The only things left to do before calling it a "beta" release are:

- Implement specific mappers for more Zope 2 object types, like DTML
methods, BTreeFolders, etc.

- Come up with a good manual cache invalidation scheme.  Currently, you
can disable the cache (or turn on "volatile" mode, which is really the
same thing) and you'll see immediate updates, but you'll lose a lot of
performance.  There needs to be a way for applications that modify the
database to tell Zope about the modification, so Zope can reset its caches.

Shane