[Zope-dev] Re: simpler TALES. (was Re: TALES idea: tuple unpacking)

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:42:39 -0400

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:49:19PM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I'm tired of this.

Yes indeed :-)

> Do you have a better alternative to subpath
> prefixes?  The constraints are tight:
(snip)

> - You have to provide an easy way to access APIs.  It's important for
> Zope 3.

are you talking about things like z3 services?
and/or zope 2 API stuff like foo.objectItems?

> - You have to provide a way to explicitly acquire.  It's important for
> Zope 3!
>
> - You can't use Python statements in templates.

right, expressions only...

> - Everyone is going to argue over your solution for months.

really???? :-)

> I've tried very hard to invent a way to solve the problems with path
> expressions without changing TALES.  I can't.  So I gave myself the
> flexibility of using just one character that was reserved anyway in path
> expressions, and the solution fell out.
>
> If you want to look for a solution, consider using *only* Python
> expressions--no path expressions.  You'll get a lot of mileage that way,
> but at the expense of syntax clashes.  Who knows, you might find a
> pretty good solution.

I think this is what I'm going to investigate.
Who knows, I might find only bad solutions :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com