[Zope-dev] Versions: should they die?

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:54:03 +0200

Paul Winkler wrote:
> To anyone not following the "Problem committing  zope 'version' objects"
> thread on zope@zope.org:  It's been proposed that Versions should be
> at least stamped in the ZMI with big warnings, or possibly disabled
> altogether.  Numerous users have been bit by the fact that versions
> basically do not work as advertised, leading in various cases to zodb
> corruption or work that can't be saved.  There are other security issues
> that Oliver Bleutgen raised privately which I won't state here.
>
> Comments?  Could we get at least some warnings in the ZMI before
> 2.6.2 final?

As I see it, you either have to disable the versioning functionality
completely, or live with it. Raising a warning when people for instance
add a Version object just gives the impression that you are safe if you
don't use the Version product, which is wrong.

If the version functionality would be disabled by default and could be
enabled by a startup parameter without impacting performance, then this
would be the way to go IMHO.

cheers,
oliver