[Zope-dev] Versions: should they die?

Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:57:06 +0100

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 17:40, Brad Clements wrote:
> Sorry if is OT.
>
> I'd like ZODB and Zope to support Revisions. That is, historical copies
> that do not get removed when ZODB is packed.

DirectoryStorage allows you to designate classes that should have all their
history kept indefinitely. That may not have the flexibility that you need...

> Does the Version mechanism contribute to this kind of functionality? I'd
> like to be able to "tag" revisions of wiki pages and other documents, and
> then be able to diff them later without having to create a special kind of
> product for each object type that I'd like to use revisions for.

The accepted wisdom is that feature like this should be implemented in the
application, above zodb. This has come up a few times on zodb-dev list.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson