[Zope-dev] 2.7 installation

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
18 Jun 2003 17:26:07 -0400

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 18:48, Adrian van den Dries wrote:
> Two points I neglected to mention earlier:
>
> 1. Many thanks to Chris McDonough (and his predecessors) for his work
>    so far, without which, this wouldn't have come up. ;-)

Thanks!  But I can't take too much credit.  You should probably thank
Fred Drake too; he implemented ZConfig.  And Matt Behrens, he wrote most
of the setup.py and took the initial cut at overhauling startup.  And
Shane, he helped Matt a lot, I think. And Evan Simpson, for his work on
the original zctl.  And Guido, for zdctl.  And Richard Jones, for making
mkzeoinstance.  And Zope Corporation, for paying the ZCers for much of
the time required to do this.  And so on. ;-)

> 2. I see no reason for Zope to eschew the .py extension for callable
>    scripts, eg. configure.py, zopectl.py, etc.  Distributions may
>    choose to wrap these in shell scripts, or strip the extension, but
>    that is a distribution's decision.  $(insert impertinent aside
>    about Zope's support for Python Labs and branding.)

I think the only Python scripts that don't have a .py extension exist in
the software home.  They are the 'mkzopeinstance', 'mkzeoinstance', and
'zconfig' scripts.  I think these should have the extension.  This would
also make it possible to run them on Windows without specifying an
interpreter (Windows shells don't support hash-bangs).  There are no
Python scripts in the instance home that don't possess the extension.

- C