FHS, zopectl, #925, Re: [Zope-dev] 2.7 installation

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:14:02 -0400

--On Thursday, June 19, 2003 10:07:52 +1000 Adrian van den Dries
<avdd@flow.com.au> wrote:

>> I'd advise against installing Zope library files into site-packages
>> unless you put them in a site-packages subdirectory (like
>> site-packages/zope270 or site-packages/zope271).  Otherwise there will
>> be no way to run multiple Zope versions on the same machine sanely
>> because different Zope versions have different libraries.
>
> May I respectfully ask why there is so much concern with such
> complicated setups?  Surely a production environment (which is what
> any Zope distribution should aim for) will standardise on a software
> version?

One word: migration

As I've found out the hard way, there are times when it is much easier to
conduct server upgrades if you can have different versions of Zope
installed on a server at the same time.  This is especially true in budget
constrained colocation environments where adding
additional machine for the upgrade would cost money.

Dan Pierson