[Zope-dev] [Vote] PEP308 voting began

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:32:47 -0500

--On Tuesday, March 04, 2003 03:23:54 PM -0500 Guido van Rossum
<guido@python.org> wrote:

> IMO TALES should solve this for itself by introducing an if/then/else
> expression form rather than depending on Python.  If you can have a
> "not:.." expression, surely you can have an "if:..:then:..:else:.."
> expression.

If it was just TALES I'd agree.  However I suspect that many other systems
built on Python
have the same problem of allowing only Python expressions in various
contexts.  It seems
very likely that most of the other web templating systems have this
limitation.

If this is true then, IMO, it's better to have one way to do it across all
the applications built
on Python than have every app. do it differently.  If I didn't believe this
I would have voted
for no change to the language.

Dan Pierson