[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
06 May 2003 11:29:00 -0400

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 10:23, Yuppie wrote:
> > So you mean that someone's usage of it would go like this:
> >
> > - Add an ordered folder "O" and change its sort attr to "title"
> >
> > - Add a bunch of subobjects to "O".
> >
> > - Apply sorting.
> >
> > - Move stuff up and down.
> >
> > Is that about right?
>
> Yes.

OK, thank you for confirming.  I've never had a need to do this, but I
respect the fact that you have.

> > Anyway, all of this is just advisory, but at very least, I'd like to see
> > the "apply current sorting" button go away in the UI because it's not
> > entirely clear what it does to someone who doesn't understand the code.
> > If you can't investigate the sorting parameters TTW, you probably
> > shouldn't be able to activate them TTW.
>
> I'm not sure I did get your last point: The sorting parameters are
> visualized by the sorting the items currently have in the TTW view (and
> by the bold column heading). I thought this is a very intuitiv way to
> investigate sorting parameters.

I see now that the sort order of the items in the ZMI can be applied.
It was a little *too* obvious for me to understand. ;-)  I thought the
sort attr needed to be set manually from Python.

- C