[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Wed, 07 May 2003 17:00:55 +0200

Hi Andrew!

Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> I'll have to chime in since I saw something that's a bad assumption.
Welcome to the discussion :)

> Yuppie wrote:
>
>>Our first proposal was to add the ordering API to the default Folder.
>
> The result of the discussion was OrderedFolder. That >makes it easier to
> migrate to Zope3: If it is an OrderedFolder, the order of _objects is
> important, if it is an Folder, we just can >discard _objects.
> This is a *really* bad assumption; for several projects I've
> monkey-patched folder to support ordering in custom CMS projects;  the
> order of _objects is important to these folks.  I appologize for chiming
> in so late in the game, but if requirements are being driven by that
> assumption, it's not a safe one IMNSHO.

So a better assumption would be:

We don't know what people did with _objects, so _objects might be important.

Right?

That means: All Zope2 Folders have to be converted to Zope3 Folders with
OrderSupport (what ever OrderSupport would look like in Zope3).

If that is the case, I can't see why the default Zope2 Folder can't have
OrderSupport. Maybe you read the discussion I had with Shane about this
issue
<http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-coders/2002-December/002955.html>
or ask him yourself.

I'm not sure if I did get all his arguments, but the point that
convinced me is becoming weak.

Cheers,

Yuppie