[Zope-dev] RFC: RelationAware class for relations between objects

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Thu, 08 May 2003 19:47:01 +0200

Shane Hathaway wrote:

>> I was under the impression that the Objecthub is Zope specific. Is
>> that so? Or is it a plain ZODB thing?
>
> It's Zope specific.  But in plain ZODB, you can achieve pretty much
> the same thing ObjectHub achieves using simple OIDs.  So the
> relationship code should allow, but not require, direct references
> using OIDs.
>
> That might make you wonder why we need an object hub at all.  The
> difference between Zope and an average ZODB application is that Zope
> lets you create a large multiuser system with many security contexts.
> An object hub assists the process by restoring references in context
> (i.e. with the correct context wrappers.)  A simple ZODB application
> generally has only one security context, so it doesn't need the extra
> complexity.

Then it starts to get amusing. One of the primary reasons for the
objecthub was to enable relations. So if the relations get implemented
in in ZODB but need some functionality, will it not end up as a
duplication of efforts?

regards max M