[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Fri, 16 May 2003 12:47:37 +0200

Hi!

Andrew Sawyers wrote:
>>That means: All Zope2 Folders have to be converted to Zope3 Folders
>>with OrderSupport (what ever OrderSupport would look like in Zope3).
>>
>>If that is the case, I can't see why the default Zope2 Folder can't
>>have OrderSupport. Maybe you read the discussion I had with Shane
>>about this issue
>><http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-coders/2002-December/002955.html>
>>or ask him yourself.
>

> I quickly glanced over the thread and at first thought I disagree.
> Order is important to many people (or at least the appearance of order)
> - and it's more then just sorting, because they want them sorted by
> Title, but always 'X' to be the first item.  This may not be so
> important to developers, but it's definately important to the end users
> of the systems I've created in the past (for sure the past 3 projects).
> I'll talk to Shane and see if I understand the approaches they're
> planning for Zope3 (I'm out of the loop on that doing project
> work).....but so far I'm not convinced.

Andrew, did you have a chance to talk to Shane?

We discussed this issue months ago and we found a solution everybody
(who took part in the discussion) can live with and that was ok'ed by Brian.

The result was OrderedFolder and as Toby wrote:
> Anyone who is relying on orderedness of Zope2
> folders needs to migrate those to OrderedFolder before jumping to Zope3.

If anybody wants to reopen this discussion, please do it now. I'd
happily change the implementation and give the default 'Folder'
OrderSupport.

If not, I'd like to move on with OrderedFolder and resolve the remaining
minor issues.

Cheers,

Yuppie