[Zope-dev] [CRITICAL] Conflict Errors, Transactions, Retries,Oh My....

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 11:24:06 -0400

Chris McDonough wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 21:33, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>>I know there are some fixes likely to be in Zope 2.6.2 that may help
>>with the situation, but I'd like to put extra protections around this
>>code regardless of what may be coming in the future.
>

> It will only get worse with 2.6.2: the number of conflict errors cause
> by the sessioning machinery in 2.6.2 is going to go up as compared to
> 2.6.1 and below.  This is because the strategy used to reduce the number
> of conflict errors used currently causes data desynchronization
> problems.

A while ago I experimented with ways to prevent conflict errors from
reaching the application.  ZODB has matured since then and it should now
be possible to make a Connection class that resolves conflicts
internally rather than propagate them to the application--as long as the
application follows certain rules.  Should we consider finishing that
effort?

Relevant URLs:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zodbex/zodbex/Shield
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ArmoredCatalog