[Zope-dev] Unicode id's and utf8 url encoding

Andreas Jung andreas at andreas-jung.com
Tue Nov 11 09:50:08 EST 2003

--On Dienstag, 11. November 2003 14:41 Uhr +0000 Toby Dickenson
<tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com> wrote:

> if only browser always worked that way :-(
>
>> > If so, is their anything stopping us allowing Unicode ids in Zope? This
>> > would involve patching OFS.ObjectManager.checkValidId to accept strings
>> > not in [0-9a-zA-Z\$\-_\.\+!\*'(),], and writing replacement
>> > urllib.quote and urllib.unquote methods for use by HTTPRequest.py.
>
> +1 on starting a prototype now, but I cant see this landing before 2.8.
>
> This is going to break every use equivalent to getattr(some_object, id).
> Its  not obvious to me how this can be cleanly resolved in zope 2.

Best to come up with a proposal to discuss all related issues. Btw.
I heard some requests from the community to support the new
international naming scheme for domain names (nothing I care about
very much but it sounds that is very much related).

-aj