[Zope-dev] current best of breed ZEO for Zope 2.6.2 in production?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Thu Oct 2 11:16:38 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:02, Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> I'm with a client in the process of setting up a production environment with
> ZEO.
>
> Which of the ZEOs should I use?
>
> * Old (t)rusty ZEO 1.0?

No.  Lots of known bugs, no support available.

> * ZEO 2.0?
> * any one of the ZEO releases at http://www.zope.org/Products/ZEO ?

All of the releases on this page, including 2.0, are obsolete.  It says
so at the top of the page.

> * a ZEO ripped off of a ZODB release? Which one? (maybe even this last RC?)

That is your best bet, although ripped off suggests that you have to do
something special.  In fact, ZEO is only released as part of ZODB3 these
days.  It will also be included directly in Zope 2.7.

The last release candidate should work, although you will need to
upgrade the ZODB code in the Zope clients as well as in the server.
A server running ZODB 3.2 can talk interoperate with ZODB 3.1 clients,
but I assume you don't have any version of ZEO installed on the clients.

>   * In this case, should I make the ZEO server out of this ZODB release or
>     should I just combine the ZEO server part into Zope and serve ZEO out of
> that?

I would just use ZODB3 for the server.  Running ZEO from a Zope software
home can cause problems, because Zope code can get loaded during
conflict resolution and imports of Zope have a lot of side effects.

>   * If use a standalone ZODB release as ZEOServer, can/should I run it on
> Python2.2
>     While using Python2.1 ZEOClients? (I'm not running Zope 2.6.2 on Python
> 2.2)

I don't think Zope Corp. has an official position on this.  Personally,
I think you'd be best off using Python 2.3.2 or Python 2.2.3 if you
can't use 2.3.

Jeremy