[Zope-dev] Re: CVS File 0.9 bugs

Craeg K Strong cstrong at arielpartners.com
Tue Oct 7 08:08:04 EDT 2003

Thanks for your note.

Yes, version 0.9 went out with some silly bugs, and I haven't had time
to fix them.
However, we now have a customer funding some Zope-related work, so I
imagine I will have time to work on CVSFile again within 3-6 weeks.

CVSFile will be supported until it gets replaced by another Zope add-on
that will add CVS functionality to the Adaptable Persistence Engine (APE).
We will be looking into that for our customer as well.  APE is the wave
of the future, it will ultimately replace ExternalFile (the current
underpinnings
of CVSFile), ExtFile, LocalFS, and lots of other related products.

As far as migrating from a Zope site developed the traditional way, you have
to decide what is worth versioning and what is not.  For example, in
what format
is your content?  Is it in XML?  HTML?  Is it mixed in with your formatting
directives inside your ZPTs? Or perhaps is it all in DTML documents?

We used versioning for anything meeting any of the following criteria
- multiple developers might work on it simultaneously
- content that needs to be reused
- anything changing rapidly that might need to be reverted or needs an
audit trail

Under that definition, quite a few zope objects should be versioned, all but
the most trivial ones, really.

One option is to have a folder full of versioned CVSFiles in a tree,
parallel
to your "real" site.  Your "real" site then merely navigates in via
aquisition and retrieves its
content from objects within the versioned area.   That way, you have *two*
hierarchies.  One is for the site.  One matches the file system and CVS.

I found this arrangement a little easier to handle, because I could
refresh the
entire CVSFile hierarchy in a batch and watch my website update :-)
See the latest CVSFile batch oriented functionality for more details.

Hope this helps,

--Craeg

PS, I cc'd the zope-dev mailing list, as I feel the conversation might
be helpful to others...

--
Craeg K Strong, General Partner
Ariel Partners LLC

NOTICE: This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended
copies -- including electronic copies -- of the original message.