[Zope-dev] _p_deactivate() and _v_ variables?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Wed Oct 15 10:27:34 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 14:53, Casey Duncan wrote:

> >> Agreed. Are there any situations, apart from the already discussed
> >> CMF skindata, where this currently isn't the case?
> >
> > I'm a bit puzzled - of what use is a variable which may disappear "at
> > any random time"?
>
> It's not exactly random. It would happen when the object was deactivated
> (removed from cache).

The proposal earlier in the thread was aiming towards allowing objects to get
deactivated at any time if the cache was overfull, not just at transaction
boundaries. This is desirable from a cache management point of view.

Apart from the most trivial cases, it would allow _v_ attributes to disappear
at random. Its a similar problem to the one that makes it hard to write an
optimiser for python code, and I am unconvinced that this is sane.

--
Toby Dickenson