[Zope-dev] WebDAV and UTF-8 filenames

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Wed Oct 15 10:53:13 EDT 2003

Hi guys!

I've been hacking around a bit with Zope to try to support some
non-ascii characters in the id's. Yes, I know it looks ugly in the URL's
but when you go via WebDAV, that is not an issue. :)

Anyhow, getting your Zope-object to accept non-ascii characters is not
that hard, of course. But the problem comes when you try to use
OpenOffice, and do a "Save As...". It seems like OpenOffice sends the
new name as UTF-8, translating a nice "filé.doc" to "filé.doc". Of
course, OpenOffice will translate it back, so it looks good in
OpenOffice, but that the id is different from the webclient and
OpenOffice is not a good idea.

Could somebody help me shed some light on some issues here:

1. Does this happen because Zope missed out on UTF-8 decoding and
encoding somewhere? It seems to me that this should be done in the
ZPublisher somewhere, but it isn't, right?

2. I have tried understanding the ZPublisher before, but failed. Can
somebody point me to where this decoding encoding should be done, maybe?
Or are you of the opinion that it's to complicated a bug to fix?

3. Will Zope 2.7 be Python 2.3 only? Because that would probably make
UTF-8 support easier.

//Lennart