[Zope-dev] Making Zope accept international characters in Id's

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Mon Oct 20 10:41:25 EDT 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 15:01, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> The fact that litmus complains about Zope's inability to accept UTF-8
> filenames is something I view as a bug.

does webdav specify how utf-8-encoded dav filenames correspond to file names
used in URLs?

> Either the already existing, but seemingly undocumented setting
> management_page_charset could be used to check that the given Id is
> acceptable in that charset.

That feature is intended only as an aid for the transition to unicode for
users who have content that is stored in an encoded form.

> OR, a separate setting could be used, maybe allowed_id_charset?

If we need to support unicode ids, then the right approach is to allow them to
be of unicode type. It looks like OFS has the beginnings of supporting this
(as your proposed code fragment pointed out), but Im not aware of it being
used.

> I'm gonna go with that last one if nobody complains.

consider this a complaint. character encodings should be applied at zopes
boundary, not in the middle of its processing.

--
Toby Dickenson