[Zope-dev] _p_deactivate() and _v_ variables?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Thu Oct 23 05:46:21 EDT 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 08:07, Chris Withers wrote:
> Toby Dickenson wrote:
> > Apart from the most trivial cases, it would allow _v_ attributes to
> > disappear at random. Its a similar problem to the one that makes it hard
> > to write an optimiser for python code, and I am unconvinced that this is
> > sane.
>
> Which, unfortunately, then leaves us with the problem of how to stop Zope
> using up an undeterminable amount of memory...

No, we just exclude objects with _v_ attribute from mid-transaction
deactivation. There arent many objects in that category, but they do need
protection.

But, your proposal means we would improve the situation for transactions that
read from an undeterminable number of persistent objects. It does not help
for transactions that touch an undeterminable number of non-persistent
objects, or transactions that change an undeterminable number of persistent
objects. Is the gain big enough to justify the effort?

--
Toby Dickenson