[Zope-dev] AW: Caching prob with AHCM and headers

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Wed Sep 10 23:53:56 EDT 2003

> I know, I was just trying to figure out how this was supposed to work.
> Currently setting Last-Modified seems to be the only way to get
> something cached in Apache; Expires alone is no good, and adding an
> Etag
> header doesn't seem to have any effect either.  Maybe this should be
> classified as an Apache problem?  Shouldn't Apache cache pages that
> have
> Expires?

Please keep in mind that **Apache is not a cache server**, it has
caching attached more like an afterthought to the mod_proxy. If you
want predictable caching you will need to use real caching software
such as Squid.

I personally have moved away from Apache even for small websites since
there are some other issues with Apache caching, such as zero-length

jens