[Zope-dev] PythonLibraries Product

Evan Simpson evan at 4-am.com
Thu Sep 11 12:01:00 EDT 2003

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Hmm, I'm thinking about this for the CMF.  In CMF 1.3.x, a template
> which has a cache manager, or a title, puts those values in a simple
> 'name=value'-formatted file, with extension '.properties'.  Permission
> mappings go in a separate file, with extension '.security'.

I wish I had been more involved when these decisions were being made --
I dislike this scheme, because it is irregular and requires you to know
what sort of object you're dealing with just to be able to tell which
files go together.  If it's always file + ','-dir, external tools can
move, rename, delete, etc safely.

Then there's the potential for name clashes.  It's unlikely, but not
*terribly* so, that a user would create a second object named
'foo_edit_form.pt.py'.  Using quote_plus avoids filesystem character set
  issues, and makes the simple ',' postfix clash-proof.

Oh, well.

Cheers,

Evan