[Zope-dev] PythonLibraries Product

seb bacon seb at jamkit.com
Fri Sep 12 10:53:58 EDT 2003

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Evan Simpson wrote:
>>Seb Bacon wrote:
>>>Could you provide a brief summary of why this is better than a
>>>folder of python scripts?  Perhaps a use case which illustrates the
>>>problems of the current way of doing things?

>>It isn't *better* than a Folder of Scripts, it's *different* :-) I
>>have two weak use-cases, a longstanding "I'm going to write that some
>>day" itch, and some aesthetic arguments.

> Actually, the restricted case is the one which has the real win;  the
> "free-floating" library is pretty, but not semanticaally needed.  An
> added argument:  a ZPT with its own private library becomes, in effect,
> a Zope3 view component;  adopting such beasts will ease migration to
> Zope3.

Well, I'm completely convinced :-)  I'm not quite sure about the
metaphor for binding a library to a template yet, though.

Could libraries be added to folders as first-class objects (you want to
be able to share them between templates easily, no?) and "bound" to the
templates using a tab on either them or the templates?  Their icons
would be overlaid with a visual indication of if they are bound or not.

Or, could you bind them at run-time using a new tal directive?  (not
likely to be a popular suggestion, I know)

seb