[Zope-dev] Communication between Zserver and ZPublisher

Alexander Schad ags at beehive-eu.com
Mon Sep 15 10:13:02 EDT 2003

At 09:54 15.09.2003 -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>Alexander Schad wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I'd like to understand how the communication between the ZServer and the ZODB
>>works. As far as i know the ZServer (Web server) talks to the ZPublisher
>>(ORB)
>>to get the Requested Object. But do they communicate via tcpip sockets or
>>unix sockets?
>>I have a problem with hanging connections (for more than 10000s) on the debug
>>screen in zopes control panel and when all connections are jammed zope
>>freezes.
>>I need to  find out where the connections gets stuck and why there is no
>>timeout
>>(i even tried to hack in the timeoutsocket module without any effect).
>>I think i need to debug this on the os level to find out what these
>>blocked connections are
>>doing. But since i'm no unix system administrator i really don't know
>>where i should
>>start my investigation.
>
>ZServer, ZPublisher, and ZODB talk to each other through Python objects
>rather than OS-level mechanisms.  Sockets are only involved if you
>introduce ZEO into the mix.
>
>There is a maximum of 7 connections open at a time.  If Zope leaks
>connections, Zope will hang the way you describe once 7 connections have
>been leaked.  Running into this is quite unlikely unless you are writing
>Zope products or are using products that do the wrong thing with database
>connections.  What products are you using?  What version of Zope?  What OS?

Products:
CallProfiler, PageTemplates, SiteAccess, StandardCacheManagers, ZopeTutorial
CookieCrumbler, PluginIndexes, SKKCookieCrumbler, stripogram, ZOracleDA
CoreSessionTracking, PythonScripts, SKKHotfixPatches, ExternalMethod, LocalFS,
PythonScriptsImports , SKKSiteAccess, ZSQLMethods, Globo5, MailHost, QGo,
ZCatalog, Hotfix_2002-03-01, MetaPublisher, ReplaceSupport, SKKUserFolder,
ZCVSFolder
Hotfix_2002-04-15, MIMETools, RevisionManager, SOAPMethod, ZGadflyDA,
Hotfix_2002-06-14
OFSP, RevisionObjects, SSLAbsoluteURL, ZopeTree

Zope version: (Zope 2.4.4 (source release, python 2.1, linux2), python
2.1.3, linux2)
Python version: 2.1.3 (#2, Jan 8 2003, 13:24:59) [GCC 2.96 20000731 (Red
Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-108.7.2)]
RedHat 7.2 Linux 3.4.21

Cheers,
                 Alex