[Zope-dev] AW: [Summary] Caching prob with AHCM and headers

seb bacon seb at jamkit.com
Thu Sep 18 06:09:57 EDT 2003

Fred Yankowski wrote:
> That makes sense.  Is there a way to do that with the CMF 1.4
> version of the "CPM"?  One could, I suppose, test the names of the
> FSDV folders in CPM predicates, but that seems a royal PITA.  That's
> why I'm making do with one-size-fits-all CPM policy for now.

Here's how I handle caching, for the record.

I use squid, which doesn't require last-modified headers.  I guess
that's not an option for you, or you'd probably already be using it ;-)
  But in any case, I don't see why Shane's suggestion of uncommenting
the last-modified line shouldn't work.

I use a standard HTTP Cache Manager for all our caching needs - I have
yet to find the granuality allowed by CPM necessary.  I add 2 or 3 cache
managers to the site (e.g. slow_http and fast_http).  I associate
templates which need a fast turnaround (e.g. the home page) with
fast_http and others (e.g. the site map) with slow_http.

(BTW, in the CMF you can associate FS Objects with named cache managers
by adding a file called foo.dtml.metadata with the following contents::

  [default]
  cache=fast_http
)

The only class of request for which I need to have a separate policy is
requests from people who are actually editing a site.  I have created a
customised HTTP Cache Manager which doesn't cache requests for specified
URLs.  I then instruct site editors to edit the site using, e.g.
'edit.mysite.com' and to view it using 'www.mysite.com'.

HTH

seb

--