[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Proposal: Move to subversion for source code control of the Zope and ZODB projects

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 12 11:45:54 EDT 2004

Jamie Heilman wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>I propose to move from CVS to subversion for the Zope and ZODB projects;
>>
>>  http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MovingSCMToSubversion
>

> No complaints from me.  I do wonder though... one thing I've noticed
> about ZC's CVS usage in the past is that you folks never export your
> code for releases.  Indeed, the 2.7.0 source release wasn't even
> checked out with -P so there's a lot of goofy-looking empty
> directories in the tarball.

I'm sure that was an oversight. Thanks for pointing it
out. Of course, with subversion, we won't have those stupid directories
in the first place.

> A common idiom through a great deal of
> the code is:
>   __version__='$Revision: 1.201 $'[11:-2]
>
> Now... thats a cute hack, but its also a silly waste of time.

Not enough to mean anything.

BTW, we're moving away from using this idiom, since Python
__version__ variables are not widely used and aren't
really intended to track individial file revisions AFAICT.

 > If releases were exported with -kv, it wouldn't be necessary.

That would break Id variables.  We do use $Id$ and I want the
full ID string so that the ident command will work.

Jim