[Zope-dev] Proposal: Rename zope package

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Fri Apr 16 15:06:04 EDT 2004

Fred Drake wrote:

> On Friday 16 April 2004 01:31 pm, Michael Bernstein wrote:
>  >  From a consistency in nomenclature POV, I find 'z' jars a bit with
>  > ZConfig, zdaemon, ZEO, zLog, and ZODB, which one might expect to find
>  > nested within 'z' (as 'z.Config' for example). This is admittedly only
>  > an issue for the newest newbies still trying to guess at where stuff is
>  > located.
>
> I don't know what zLog is; presumably you mean zLOG?

Yep.

> zLOG is dead in Zope 2.8, and will remain only for API compatibility.
>
> I don't think there's any real consistency now for what's in the Zope 2 head,
> so I don't think that's a big deal.

Shouldn't we strive for consistency in nomenclature going forward?

>  > However, rather than suggest a wholesale moving and renaming of these
>  > packages within 'z', I'd like to suggest an alternative short name for
>  > the 'zope' package, 'OPE', which avoids this issue:
>  >
>  >   import OPE.interface
>  >   from OPE.app import zapi
>  >   from OPE.app.event import publish
>  >   from OPE.app.event.objectevent import ObjectModifiedEvent
>
> Hehe.  ;-)
>
> (I do hope you're joking!)

About even considering a 'wholesale moving and renaming' yes, obviously,
but as far as suggesting 'OPE' as an alternative to 'z' (insofar as it
is still necessary to avoid a name-clash with 'Zope'), no. 'OPE' (as an
acronym for Object Publishing Environment) seems like it fits better
conceptually than 'z'.

Did I miss something? Did I just manage to embarrass myself? Is this a
dream where I find I am wearing nothing but underwear in public and then
wake up?

--
- Michael R. Bernstein
   michaelbernstein.com