[Zope-dev] Re: [patch] More secure cookie crumbler?

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Tue Apr 20 10:54:54 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> Hmm.  I really wasn't expecting any new code yet.  Session cookies are a
>> very significant maintenance burden in Zope, and it's not in my interest
>> to support them.  If you don't mind, I think I'll release a version of CC
>> without any session support, then I'll give Chris Withers the maintainer
>> hat.  He'll start with your latest version.
>

> I'll certainly take that on, if only because Cookie Crumbler is in such
> wide use.
>
> I wonder how many Plone users are aware their passwords are stored
> unencrypted in client cookies which fly back and forth waiting to be
> snapped up by packet sniffers, XSS, and JS attacks ;-)
>
> That said, basic auth ain't much better, but at least that's protectable
> by SSL...

Cookies and Basic Auth both are transmitted via HTTP headers, so both
should benefit from SSL

Another question of course is what happens afterwards; in my experience
at least IE has a tendency to even store Session cookies longer than one
might expect (ie. the lifetime of the browser instance)

I made a patch to CC to crypt auth tokens with AES, though thats not
ideal it should help a little