[Zope-dev] Re: zLOG is dead

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Tue Apr 20 17:25:51 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 01:15 pm, Christian Heimes wrote:
 > Fred Drake wrote:
 > * Do I need to take care that the messages are logged into the event log
 > and on the console or can I safly use the logging package like::
 > zLOG has logged the messages to the console when zope was started with
 > runzope and the entries were logged to the event.log, too.

I've responded to the note from Andreas; we need to decide just how this
should be handled, but it should not require changes to code that uses
logging.

 > * Does Zope 2.7.0 has the new logging facility?

Zope 2.7.x uses the logging package as a back-end to zLOG, but it uses it in a
different way.  For it to make sense to change this for 2.7.1 would mean
backporting most or all of the relevant changes from the trunk.  I've no
plans to do so myself at this time.

So for code that needs to be compatible with Zope 2.7.x, it's wise to stick
with zLOG.

 > * If no: Will Zope 2.7.1 have the new logging facility or do I need to
 > wait for Zope 2.8?

I think waiting until you can drop support for Zope 2.7.x is the right thing
to do.  I imaging the zLOG API shim will remain in Zope 2.x for a long time.

 > I'm chatting with Andreas Jung right now. He is telling me that the logs
 > don't get printed to the console and that the log level is missing in
 > the event.log

This was unintentional; you should have better results after an update from
CVS.  Thanks for bringing this up.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>