[Zope-dev] Re: The bleak Future of Zope?

Seb Bacon seb at jamkit.com
Wed Apr 21 07:58:27 EDT 2004

Personally, I think Zope3 has a great future, and will pick up a much
larger community than Zope2 ever did, because it's better designed and
better documented.

In general, the people who stand to gain immediately (or pretty soon)
from Zope3 are enthusiasts; newcomers; and ZC.

However, if the process of moving away from Zope2 is not managed very
carefully and slowly, the people who stand to lose are companies that
already rely on Zope2.  I agree that the solution is probably to allow
the community more control over the release cycle, web site, and
repository.  We could follow various other models from elsewhere in the
OSS world, and see what happens.

I believe that ZC's apparent reticence on this is because they are
(understandably) interested in preserving control over their brand,
which overlaps rather largely with the software.

What would be helpful is a definitive statement from ZC as to whether
they would consider relinquishing some of their control over Zope 2.
Perhaps, instead of a code fork, we could have a brand fork, with a
different website, a different name, and a different release schedule
(think Fedora?)

Seb