Zope Book, was Re: [Zope-dev] The bleak Future of Zope?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Apr 21 14:17:28 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:10, Peter Sabaini wrote:
> Chris McDonough wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 10:18, Peter Sabaini wrote:
> >
> Ok then...
>
> I think the following issues would deserve attention:
>
> * Installing chapter: I'm working on it and hope to finish soon (no
> really this time!)

Cool, I'll pick another chapter then!

> * Maintaining chapter update

I'll pick that one. ;-)

> * Creating Basic Zope Applications: I've been wanting to extend and
> incorporate Jon Whiteners version but never got around to it

This is important.

> * Using Zope Page Templates: judging by the comments there seem to be
> some trouble spots there

Yup.  It's ripe for attention like the attention you gave to
Maintaining. ;-)

> * Reference: IMHO one of the trickier things, especially for the API
> Ref. because one would first have to decide what constitutes the API and
> what is simply Zope core...

I think we should continue to ignore the API ref except for addressing
specific corrective comments made against it.  The API ref is terrible,
but unless someone has a spare few weeks on their hands to go through
Zope and define APIs, that's the best we're going to do.

> * A chapter TOC: it would be great if we could have an inter-chapter
> table of contents; would greatly help navigation esp. in longer chapters
> -- I seem to recall that someone once mentioned working on such a
> feature -- Paul maybe?

Yes, it's in BackTalk CVS.  I just need to convince ZC to install the
newest BackTalk.

> * Lots of weeding out comments resp. incorporating answers

Yeah..

> * Generating PDFs
>
> Anything else?

Backporting changes to the 2.6 edition, although I think this should be
low priority!

- C