[Zope-dev] End-of-line translation problem

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 30 10:24:33 EDT 2004

(Sorry for the cross posting, but I think that all of the lists have an important
  stake in this issue.)

In the text below, I respond to a report from Tim on the fact that, unlike CVS,
subversion doesn't do any end-of-line translation for text files.  If someone
creates a file on a Unix-like system, it will have Unix line endings. If someone
creates a file on Windows, it will have windows line endings.  Depending on tools
used, we could end up with files having mixed line endings.  This has happened to
us in the past when people using SMB used windows editors to edit files checked
out and checked in using Linux CVS clients (using SMB). When this has happened,
people found it really annoying.

Subversion has a property that can be set on a file to cause end-of-line translation
to take place.  I have argued that the setting of this property should be automated
and that the standard ways to do so with subversion are inadequate.

I started a thread on the subversion users mailing list explaining my
position and describing a work around that Tim suggested to me:

   http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/BrowseList?list=users&by=thread&from=184061

One of the subversion developers responded suggesting:

- File adds are rare

- Ad hoc mechanisms for setting the subversion eol-style property have worked
   for the subversion project itself. (Text files that I have looked at in the
   subversion repository do, indeed, have this property set.)

It could be argued that we should try subversion's ad hoc approach to
prove that, in fact, it doesn't work for us.

For myself, I'm inclined to do what Tim suggested,
and tell subversion to automatically set the eol-style for
all files to native. This will fail loudly when binary files
are checked in and I think that I can deal with that inconvenience. Note that
this is a big improvement over CVS as generally, binary files will automatically
*not* be treated as text files. (The danger being that the binary detection algorithm
will occasionally fail.)

Thoughts?

If we think that it's worth *trying* the subversion developers ad hoc approach, then I
think we could move forward with the transition sooner, perhaps the week after next.
(I still need to arrange for setting the property during conversion, but I think
I can manage that.)

Jim