[Zope-dev] SOAP Support for ZOPE

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Wed Dec 15 13:02:32 EST 2004

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:

>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:54 am, Aruna Kathiria wrote:
>>
>>> I did some work regarding SOAP support on ZOPE and published this
>>> document on zope.org.
>>

>> Is there really no interest in getting SOAP support into the Zope core?
>>
>> I've got a guy working on some Microsoft Word stuff at the moment, and
>> he was dumbfounded when he discovered that Zope doesn't support SOAP.
>> In his words, "everyone supports SOAP". Sigh :)
>>
>> Are there any objections to getting Aruna's patches into the 2.8
>> codebase? I'd be willing to do the work - but note I know practically
>> nothing about SOAP - I just want to be able to use it.
>

> I would like to have SOAP support in the Zope core (both z2 and z3). We
> are probably going to be forced to interface with Java based SOAP
> enabled software next year, and I for one would feel more comfortable
> being able to say that Zope supports SOAP out of the box... think
> "important selling point".

Ha! That's because you are located in Microsoftistan. Also known as
"Sweden". :P

But I agree, it would be nice with SOAP support out of the box. However,
that means including several third-party libraries, which either is a
bit complicated, or may be hard due to licensing.

One possible way is to add a module (similar to the soapByCignex.py
module) to the ZPublisher and use "try/except ImportError" to import it.
The third party python modules could then be downloaded and installed
and the server restarted, to add SOAP support.