[Zope-dev] Why third_party/docutils?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Dec 16 16:01:13 EST 2004

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 15:34 Uhr -0500 Jim Fulton
> <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>

>>> --On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 20:30 Uhr +0100 "Stefan H. Holek"

>>> I have not seen a proposal so far how to solve this issue that works
>>> with a complete
>>> Docutils package and without sitecustomize.py and I don't know about a
>>> better solution.
>>> Having Docutils in sane state from the maintenance prospective is much
>>> more important for me
>>> than leaving it as it was.
>>

>> As I said in one of my responses to this thread, I see no problem that
>> this extra directory solves.  Could you please explain what problem
>> you think an extra directory will solve?
>>

> Stefan complained about the sitecustomize.py file and the additional
> paths injected inside the file. Moving docutils as a whole to lib/python
> would not solve the problem with similar adjustments to sys.path.

AFAICT, the problem is that you made a change that requires lots of scripts
to be modified and become slightly more complicated. This is not a huge deal
if there's a good reason for it, but I can't figure out what that reason
could be. See below.

> So
> sitecustomize.py
> is the issue and not the location.

Why is docutils in third_party?

Stefan asked this before. You answered:

   "It has been moved there because older Zope versions shipped with a stripped
    down and hacked docutils version which fit into the path magic. But this
    version was hard to maintain and it was a pain in the a** to update the
    package from time to time. That's why it moved as a whole into a different
    location."

This answer doesn't make any sense to me.  What does changing the docutils version
have to do with it's location. Zope 3 has docutils in lib/python, why can't Zope 2?

Jim