[Zope-dev] Why third_party/docutils?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 12:02:42 EST 2004

[Tim Peters]
>> Jim, while I personally don't care much, Zope3's repackaging of
>> docutils doesn't meet license requirements to retain the original
>> licenses in derivative works.  Zope2's does, because it includes
>> docutil's whole 'licenses' subdirectory (except for the GPL).

[Jim Fulton]
> At least as of the time that I added docutils to Zope 3, it had no
> licenses.  Nevertheless, I include a mention of the docutils non-license
> in:
>
>   http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/LICENSES.txt?view=markup

The current docutils package includes 4 licenses.  You mention
roman.py in the above, and docutils is in part a derivative of that,
so Zope3 is too, and the Python 2.1.1 license roman.py was released
under requires retaining the license in derivative works.  Including a
link to the license doesn't meet that requirement, although I strongly
doubt roman.py's author would object.  It's exciting to live
dangerously <wink>.