[Zope-dev] Minor windows intaller bug and a question

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Feb 5 11:03:29 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 08:55, Sergey Volobuev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Installing 2.7.0rc2 windows zope installer, i noticed that it uses
> hard-coded value for instance directory. The proposed value is
> "C:\Zope-Instance". However, some users (me :) don't have C: drive. For
> some reasons windows choose G: letter for boot drive and (unlike
> not-boot drives) this letter can't be changed. Most installers
> autodetect this situation but Zope installer not.

You can change the instance dir manually, no?  You mean it's a bug that
it doesn't detect your system drive and instead always uses C as the
default, right?  If so, yes, I agree, but likely it won't get fixed too
soon as it's so minor.

> And now the question: I want to make customized Zope installer. I.e. i
> want to include some products, data in ZODB, etc. so i can give single
> exe file to my customer, he will install it and get ready-to-work site
> figurally in one click. Something like Plone installer did. So, are
> there some guidelines how it can be done (howtos, docs, scripts, etc)?
> Unfortunately, my expirience in making installers is limited to
> InstallShield usage in mid 90th :(

This is very possible.  The way the ZC installer is built uses
http://cvs.zope.org/Packages/WinBuilders , and you could of course
change this around to make it suit you.  No howtos, but the code is
there.

- C