[Zope-dev] How to make Zope fail nicely under high load?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Wed Feb 11 05:08:47 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 09:16, Jamie Heilman wrote:
> Bjorn Stabell wrote:

> > Basically, when the load gets high, Zope has a huge backload of work
> > (several minutes of requests), making the average latency for each
> > request many minutes.  What are effective ways to do this kind of
> > overload management so that the backlog of work doesn't get that big?

Zope's ZServer manages a queue of requests that have been recieved over http,
but not dispatched to the publisher. This is handled in
PubCore/ZRendezvous.py. I suspect this queue will be holding your backlog.

You might get some benefit from capping the length of that queue.

> The idea is that you want tweak it so
> some of your users get everything, and some get nothing, instead of
> everybody getting partials.  This means you have to track sessions
> though...

Before creating a session, check the size of the ZRendezvous backlog. might
work.

--
Toby Dickenson