[Zope-dev] How to make Zope fail nicely under high load?

Bjorn Stabell bjorn at exoweb.net
Wed Feb 11 20:57:27 EST 2004

Jamie writes:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> > OK, you get the problem that images may not load even if
> the main page
> > does, but is that really worse for the end user than not getting
> > anything?
>
> As I've been saying, if you do that, they will reload
> repeatedly making the problem worse.  If the images are fluf,
> and the user knows they are fluf, then *maybe* they won't
> reload, and your pages will simply appear ugly.  But then you
> have to ask yourself, why am I sending fluf images that
> degrades the overall user experience of my application?
> Clearly there's more optimization that could be done to your
> application.

If you run Apache as a caching reverse proxy (caching surrogate server)
then images will be served from Apache.  Only the dynamic HTML pages are
served from Zope, so having them fail without regards to sessions is
relatively okay.  Images and other static content are almost guaranteed
to load correctly, and if  they didn't, a straight reload from the
client will not reload cached images.

Regards,
--
Bjorn