[Zope-dev] Re: How to make Zope fail nicely under high load?

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Thu Feb 12 11:03:47 EST 2004

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Bjorn Stabell wrote:
>
>> If you run Apache as a caching reverse proxy (caching surrogate server)
>> then images will be served from Apache.  Only the dynamic HTML pages are
>> served from Zope, so having them fail without regards to sessions is
>> relatively okay.  Images and other static content are almost guaranteed
>> to load correctly, and if  they didn't, a straight reload from the
>> client will not reload cached images.
>

> Impatient clients often "force" reloads;  I don't *think* Apache has a
> knob which allows a surrogate / acceloerator proxy to ignore the spec
> (which is written assuming "forward" proxies), and serve from cache anyway.

I think I did find some sort of knob for this

For Apache 2.0, mod_cache, dir. CacheIgnoreCacheControl could be used
for this
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_cache.html

For Apache 1.3 mod_proxy, dir. CacheMaxExpire could do
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html#cachemaxexpire

  - peter.