[Zope-dev] Core Dump (Zope 2.7, Python 2.3.3, FreeBSD 4.5)

Jeffrey P Shell jeff at bottlerocket.net
Tue Feb 17 11:45:05 EST 2004

I've been experiencing the most peculiar core dump under Zope 2.7.
It's on a web application we only decided to revive late last week, so
it was never tested under earlier beta/RC conditions.

The core dump occurs when visiting manage_main on a particular folder.
The contents of this folder are basically just Python Scripts, Page
Templates, and a few DTML Methods (including standard_error_message).

I can get manage_main to render in zopectl debug (using
Testing.make_request to make enough of a REQUEST object for it to
render with).  And I can read everything in that particular folder with
zopectl debug.  I used this to experiment with moving items around
between folders - including moving all of the templates/scripts into
their own folder outside of the web application.  It still core dumps.
At one point, I thought I had narrowed it down to a particular template
(although the reasons for why it would be this template elude me) by
doing some interactive Python work [I had written some helper
'move_object' and 'copy_object' functions a while back, and used them
to move items between a pair of folders and then seeing which one Zope
would crash on].

I got the contents of the template out using ``zopectl debug``, and
recreated the template by hand, now that I could actually get into the
target folder.  It worked for a brief moment, but so did the source
folder, which now had this one particular template remaining.

I tried various imports and exports of the web application, including
using one that was known to still be working off of a production server
(Zope 2.6.1, Python 2.1).  I even tried copying the contents
(individually) of the folder - completely removing them from original
context.  It still core dumps.  (Before I tried imports and exports, it
was running in a Data.fs that had been copied from a Zope 2.6.1
instance to 2.7.  Python Scripts were recompiled)

Finally, I thought it might be a Python 2.3.3/FreeBSD issue (like there
were issues with default stack size on Python 2.1.x and FreeBSD).  This
Python 2.3.3 had been built from source just last week, on the day I
installed Zope 2.7 final on our development server.  So I downloaded
Zope 2.6.4 and ran that with Python 2.3.3, importing the problematic
export.  I could list the contents of this particular folder just fine.
  The import had Python 2.1 compiled scripts, so I recompiled them and
exported it again just to see if that was causing strange issues - but
when brought into Zope 2.7, the core dump still happens.

The folder in question is not terribly large - when I extracted the
scripts/templates manually into a new folder, I think it has about 41
items in it.

What should I do next?  Should I familiarize myself with gdb and
inspect the core?  What are some things I could look for if that's the
next step?