[Zope-dev] Re: ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.6.3 Release and Security Update

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu Jan 8 22:46:39 EST 2004

Dennis Allison wrote:

> Glad to hear the news.  I tried using Python 2.2 and 2.3 with Zope
> 2.6.2b3 with little success in the early Fall without success--but
> the many problems were RH9 related.  We've since gone back to RH7.3 (the
> last stable RH release in my book) and used Python 2.1.3 for Zope
> (and Python 2.3.3 for everything else except RedHat tools).

RH9 has been rock solid for us, given two choices we made:

   - *Never*, *ever* run Zope in production with the OS's version
     of Python:  it *won't* be built optimized for Zope, and it *will*
     change unexpectedly (from the perspective of the appserver
     developer).  The SA will feel free to change the OS Python,
     including adding potentially destabilizing extensions, or
     *upgrading* it, and will be unrepentant when you (the appserver
     developer) complain that he broke your Zope.

   - *Run*, don't walk to get access to the updated kernel and glibc;
     the kernel, in particular, which RH9 installs out of the box is
     pathetically useless for running a memory-hungry appserver.
     We have found both yum and the apt-rpm port useful for keeping
     servers up to date.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com