[Zope-dev] Re: any limits on object number?

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Wed Jul 14 09:25:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:46:57 +0530
"Nagarjuna G." <nagarjun at gnowledge.org> wrote:

> We are builiding a large portal using Zope.  We need to create a large
> number of objects.  The data component of the objects is small, but
> each object carries lots of metadata.  My question is: Is there any
> limit on the number of objects in a given folder?  I am not planning
> to use any external RDBMS. Are there any known performace isssues when
> the numbeer of objects increase, particularly when we store them in
> the same folder?

Normal zope folders should probably not be used to hold more than a few
dozen items. They store a list of their children in a single ZODB
record, and as their numbers increase so do the size of the transactions
that change the folder. Also normal Zope folders do not handle
concurrent updates and will thus not perform well when multiple users
are adding items to the folder.

Shane Hathaway's BTreeFolder2 product solves these problems. It is the
thing to use when you want to store large numbers of objects in a single
folder. It also handles concurrency much better.

hth,

-Casey