[Zope-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Getting rid of ZODB versions (was Re: [ZWeb] Are Versions evil?)

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Thu Jul 15 17:28:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 05:18:37PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> I don't think anyone find versions useful in cases where
> locks matter.  With versions, if you get resource contention,
> someone loses.
>
> Long-running subtransactions as I'm proposing would rely on mult-version
> concurrency control, rather than locks.  In either case, if you have
> resource contention, you are probably out of luck.

Locks are important, however, in cases such as generating unique IDs
based on integer attribtues in a database. This is something we never
managed to sort out in IndexedCatalog, and I wonder if anyone else ever
has.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331