[Zope-dev] Five and 2.9

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jun 15 09:48:47 EDT 2004

I heard that there was some discussion about the relationship between
Martijn Faassen's "Five" project and future versions of Zope.

I'd like to say, for the record, that I think Five is an important
project. It is one of a number of projects to work out how to use
features of Zope 3 in Zope 2.  Most of the projects, such as the one
here at Zope corp are not as public as Five.  I can say, on our part,
that this is not from a desire for secrecy, but from a lack of bandwidth
to share what we have done.  I applaud Martijn's effort to make this a
broad and open effort.  I view Five as an important step toward
Zope 2.9 and encourage people to get involved with it. I certainly intend
to be invlved as much as time allows.

Of course, Five will change over time, as we get more experience with it.
As with any technology, this entails some risk for early adopters.  I think,
however, that we'll fairly soon identify the parts that are stable and the
parts that are subject to change.

Jim