[Zope-dev] Specific Qs about diffs btw Zope 3 & Zope 2.x (2.7, etc)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Jun 25 14:44:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:38:15AM -0500, Eric Hielscher wrote:
> The project involves a web page where users can upload files of a
> specific format (zipped SCORM-conformant e-learning files to be exact).
> The system would then rip out all of the meta data and perhaps the full
> text of the files in the zip and index them for searching.

If searching is important to your project, part of the answer depends on
when you need to release your project.
AFAIK the current zope X3 release
(http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ZopeX3300b1 )
does not support indexing & searching at all. I have no idea when these
features will be available.

Quoting from ZopeX3/doc/CHANGES.txt:

"""
      - We had an object hub service. The object hub service was responsible
        for:

        - Managing short ids for objects, useful for indexing

        - Keeping track of object locations.  This was important when the
          object hub was created, because it wasn't practical to use direct
          object references. No it is, so hub ids are no-longer useful for
          implementing location-independent object references.

        The object hub service is dead.

        In the future, there will be a utility for use by indexes, that
        maintains short ids for objects. Perhaps this will be an indexing id
        service.

        The index and catalog machinery depend heavily on a facility for
        assigning shot ids to objects, currently the hub.  Rather than trying
        to remove this dependency now, and ad it back later when we have an
        index-id utility, it makes more sense to just remove the index and
        catalog facilities for now.

        Later, when we create an index-id utility, we'll port the code, which
        will still be in the repository, back.

"""

--

Paul Winkler