[Zope-dev] Serving big files thru zope?

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Mon Mar 1 06:09:43 EST 2004

Dario,

The best solution for me always has been to serve such files statically
from Apache, bypassing ZServer altogether. In fact I have added support for
static URLs to my version of ExtFile <http://zope.org/Members/shh/ExtFile>.

ZEO clusters will need a comon disk share (SAMBA, NFS) for this to work.

HTH,
Stefan

--On Montag, 01. März 2004 08:24 +0100 Dario Lopez-Kästen
<dario at ita.chalmers.se> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to serve big files from zope - PDF, movies, large PS-files,
> Students lab-results, etc. We recently moved from LocalFS to  Dirstorage
> to manage ZEO-ability in a clustered enviromnet).
>
> Quite a while ago, I remember having read somewhere on the lists that
> there is a pacth/fix for Zope/ZServer that optimises the way zope serves
> large files.
>
> Is the current state of ZServer such that it is suboptimal for serving
> large files? if so,
>
> a) what is the problem with the current implementation?
> b) is there a fix available?
>
> if not b) then I am willing to start looking into it. I need this for my
> unis student web-site.
>
> Thanx,
>
> /dario
>
> --
> Dario Lopez-Kästen, IT Systems & Services Chalmers University of Tech.

The time has come to start talking about whether the emperor is as well
dressed as we are supposed to think he is.               /Pete McBreen/