[Zope-dev] Serving big files thru zope?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Mon Mar 1 14:01:33 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:41, Paul Winkler wrote:
> However, ZEO is a whole other story.
> The time to load a 40 MB file from ZEO and serve it,
> is about another 10x slower than plain Zope  without ZEO.
> This is painfully bad and readily apparent to users.
> But if your ZEO cache is large enough to hold all the data,
> subsequent download times are as fast as plain Zope.
> More investigation needed, I'm not sure about the accuracy
> or relevance of these results.  But almost certainly,
> if using large files with Zope with ZEO, you will want to configure
> a much larger ZEO cache size than the default (20 MB).

It really would be good to get to the bottom of the bad ZEO performance
for loading an object the first time.  I won't have time to do it until
after the ZODB 3.3 release, but I think it's a worthwhile effort to
understand what ZEO is doing.

You're right, too, that a large ZEO cache makes a big difference.  If
you've got the disk space, setting it several hundred MB shouldn't be a
problem.

Jeremy