[Zope-dev] How should an ideal Zope IDE look like?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu May 6 03:51:04 EDT 2004

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca wrote:

> More important is the second point:  Having such a tool would bring a
> HUGE amount of value added to Zope. Mega, super huge.

Sounds like the opportunity for a commercial tool.

It's not NEEDED, but it makes life a LOT easier, and so would give any company
with it competitive advantage without detracting at all from people who don't
use it...

> My main concern would be it's adaptibility to custom content types. If I
> have my own Geospatial-ish content type, how would the IDE handle it ?
> How would I go about making it handle it ? etc ...

That's the tough one ;-) BTW, I thought we were talking about a Zope IDE, not an
  IDE for a CMS built on top of Zope...

> Basically, yo me this should be a core feature of Zope, not an add-on.

Indeed. But having it as a core feature forces it to be open source, and hence
run on open source budgets and timescales.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk