[Zope-dev] Conflict errors on BDBMinimal storage

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at augusta.de
Mon May 17 13:06:56 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:45:16PM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 05:23, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > whe are running portal unter zope2.7 with one zeo server and six frontend
> > application servers.
> >
> > I have set up zeo to server two storages
> >
> > <filestorage main>
> >   path $INSTANCE_HOME/var/Data.fs
> > </filestorage>
> >
> > <minimalstorage temp>
> >   envdir $INSTANCE_HOME/var/session
> > </minimalstorage>
> >
> > temp should provide an shared session. But when is set up the frontends
> > to use temp as /temp_folder, we see many  ZODB conflict errors. The
> > performance decreases and PosErrors appear quite often.
>
> BDBMininalStorage is no longer maintained and doesn't do any "conflict
> resolution".

Why this. I was told some time ago we should use BDBMinimalStorage to
fix the conflict problems.

> Even though you'll need to pack frequently, you might want
> to try a FileStorage instead.

There is no difference between BDB Storage and Filestorage regarding
the conflicts.

> Regardless, using ZEO will presumably always generate more conflict
> errors than using a "local" ZODB because the commit time is longer, and
> thus there's a better chance that two threads will be committing at the
> same time.

The bottom line is that there is no way of getting an shared session
running. Why isn´t there an implementation of temporary storage for ZEO
I dont care about conflit resolution. Its only session data. I simply
need a shared session storage. But as Far as i can see the is no way
of doing this. Are we the only site out there running Plone2 (Placeless
transaltion Service) at that scale. How do others handle there Session

Bye
	Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | estartu at augusta.de                 |   auf Anfrage/
Tel: 08232 77 36 4 |                                    |    on request
Fax: 08232 77 36 3 |                                    |